Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Copycat Cafe Rio Shredded Beef

Due to a new baby cousin arriving in October, my sister and I combined my nephew, Carson, and Jacob's birthday parties together.  We figured it would be easier for everyone, and save on food costs.  Shauna had wanted to make taco's for Carson's party, so we kept to that idea, since it's something different than sloppy joe's, and is just as easy.

I've had a recipe pinned for awhile that I wanted to try, even though i have never heard of the store it copycats, but the recipes are alway's popping up and look so good.  Plus, it's made in the crockpot, so can it get any easier??

Cafe Rio Shredded Beef

Ingredients

1small onion
2lbs. boneless beef chuck roast
1c. low-sodium beef broth
1Tbl. ground cumin + extra to taste
3-5garlic cloves, minced
1(8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1(14 oz.) can green enchilada sauce
1-2Tbl. tomato paste

Directions

Cut the onion into large, chunky slices; place on the bottom of slow-cooker. Place the roast on top of the onions. Combine broth, 1 Tablespoon cumin, garlic and tomato sauce; pour over the top of the roast. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours. Transfer meat to a cutting board; use two forks to shred the beef. Strain the juices from the slow-cooker, reserving the juice. Transfer shredded meat back to the slow-cooker and pour some of the strained juices over the shredded beef (as much as you prefer). Stir in the enchilada sauce and tomato paste.Season with salt and extra cumin, to taste. Serve in taco shells with desired toppings.

This recipe was a HIT.  I literally had about 2 spoonfuls leftover, which my nephew Collin begged me for, so I sent home with him.  Earlier, he said, "Nikki - can you tell my mom how to make this, her's doesnt taste this good!"  Made me laugh. 

I also made a chicken taco recipe.  I threw some chiecken breasts into another crockpot, added 1/2 packet of taco seasoning, and a jar of salsa.

No photos, as i have not uploaded them off of the camera yet, but i will do that soon, and post a link of the construction cake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment