Thursday, July 12, 2012

Pinterest Posts



I've started to realize, or at least acknowledge, that Pinterest has just become a (somewhat) more organized version of my cookbook cupboard.  When I open the cupboard that has my cookbooks in it, I always have a hand half way up to catch whatever is falling out. Stuff frequently falls out.   When i have finished demolishing finding what I want (or likely what I have available to cook with) I just shove it back up there.  It's a mess.  Of epic proportions.  My version of knowing what recipes i want to make or have made and liked, is just a sticky tag.  No rhyme or reason, just tagged... 

My Pinterest board is becoming similar.  The only difference is that nothing falls on me and there are pretty pictures to look at.  Goal:  start tagging stuff better.  Instead of just having a "Yum" board, I plan to break it out into categories, ie dessert, crockpot, freezer meals, etc.  Which seems immensely easier than tackling the cupboard.  Which makes me cringe almost as bad as thinking of the junk drawer. 

So, I did some more Pinterest Projects this week, which were all fairly successful!!

Blueberry Baked Oatmeal
This is one I plan on making again this week, if temps stay low enough to handle having the oven run. I baked it up one afternoon, and had breakfast for the next few days, which was great.  More of a thicker texture than regular oatmeal, which I liked.  I opted out of the bananas (big surprise) and also didn't have nuts on hand, so no nuts either.

Project 1:  Blueberry Baked Oatmeal 

adapted from here

Ingredients:
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup chopped walnuts, divided 
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 cup milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2-3 ripe bananas, peeled and sliced
1 cup blueberries or raspberries, fresh or frozen, divided

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
2. Lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish. In a medium bowl, mix the oats, half of the walnuts, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Stir to combine. In a liquid measuring cup, combine the syrup, milk, egg, butter, and vanilla.
3. Spread the sliced bananas in a single layer over the bottom of the baking dish. Top with half of the berries. Sprinkle the dry oat mixture over the fruit in an even layer. Pour the liquid ingredients evenly over the oats.
4. Sprinkle the remaining nuts and berries over the top. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the top is browned and the oats have set. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.

Project 2 :  Cherry Lambic Sorbet
This was not originally a Pinterest idea, but I pinned to my page for any of you following on pinterest.  Jen came over on the 4th, and brought homemade Cherry Lambic Sorbet. 
OH. MY. WORD.

I felt like i was eating a bowl full of frozen cherry heaven (turns out i was).  Mike also surprisingly liked he (getting him to eat fruit could be an Olympic event...).  The boys were willing to try it once they found out there was beer in it. Come on, who wouldn't try a frozen beer dessert??


                           Sour-Cherry Lambic Sorbet - Made this last night, it is FANTASTIC!!

You can buy your own ice cream maker on clearance right now at Target for $15, well worth it!  Or you can invite me over for dinner, and I will bring this!

Cherry Lambic Sorbet
  1. 3 cups pitted sour cherries (18 ounces)
  2. 3/4 cup Sugar Syrup (this is also where i got the recipe)
  3. 1 cup cherry lambic beer (I used peach lambic, liquor store was out of cherry, worked well)
  1. In a blender, puree the cherries until smooth. Stir in the Sugar Syrup and the cherry lambic beer. Pour the sorbet base into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
  2. Pack the sour-cherry lambic sorbet into a plastic container. Press a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the sorbet and close the container with an airtight lid. Freeze until firm, 4 hours.
Project 3:  Jacob's new toy bin

I am a fan of rotating toys out for Jacob's bin.  It means less mess downstairs, new toys in rotation, and when an item comes back, he's excited to see it again (or will be once he remembers a toy).  Or if he needs a change of scenery, we can go up to his room and there are "new" toys up there for him to be occupied with.  I had just a small box downstairs, but it was a wee bit too small. 

Another connundrum at our house is we suddenly have a lot of extra empty boxes.  From toys, packages, and mainly, diaper cases.  Which surprisingly is about the size I wanted.  Jacob "helped" me make this, as you can see.  He really enjoyed playing with the contact paper and climbing in the box.


Jacob being Mommy's Little Helper


Not as cute, without a baby in it, but shows you more of the picture!
 This super easy and cheap project took me all of about 15 minutes (that is not including the baby helper time, that would make time closer to an hour...) and $4.97 for the roll of contact paper, and I figure the diaper box is a sunk cost.  But, you could do with any extra boxes you have around the house!

No comments:

Post a Comment