Thursday, August 15, 2013

Our Favorite Room - The Sunroom

We've had some people over now, and the overwhelming consensus is the love of the sunroom.  It is so peaceful, all windows, and tucked off by itself.  It is by far our favorite room in the house.  Sadly, it is only 3 season right now, and I have a feeling it wont be finished off by this winter.  We've spent more money on getting sheetrock done, painting, carpet, and furniture, that this project may be put off a bit.

But, I'm holding out as long as i can in here!

I can't wait until fall, snuggle up in here looking at the trees about a 100 feet away turning colors, as I drink cider and eat some glorious pumpkin dessert!


Before picture - love the sunlight, not the paneling or the carpet
 Originally we thought the carpet could last until we remodeled this to be year round.  While priming, and sitting on floor, when you stood up, your pants came away with yellow smear/fuzz all over.  The carpet wouldnt make it much longer, and the thought of Jacob breathing in the dust was not ideal.
 
 
But first, I decided to prime.  This was the first, and last, room in the house I primed.  What a pain.  The stink, the lack of reward, the time.  Everything about priming is a suck.

Already looking better


Notice the lamp?  I hated the lamp, wicker, 1970 original
 

 But the painting part?  LOVED the paint.  I bought Ben Moore's Affinity line Dragonfly (thank you Young House Love).  With a room with this much sun, I knew i could risk a dark, bold color. 
Dragonfly, opposite walls are all Collonade Gray, like the dining/living room

Puppy photo bombs

 After painting, (of course) we decided to rip out the carpet to replace now instead.  The carpet ripped up fairly well, but the pad, not so much.  It was glued to the floor.  Entirely glued.  So started the process of scraping the floor up. It was a mess of black pad, yellow fuzz, and tired arms.

Pad left behind after removing carpet, 2 little patches are original floor
It seriously took me like 3 hours to do that.  DEPRESSING



All scraped, complete mess
Good thing i like this room for all the blisters it gave me.
Love it!!


 


Jacob's play area

See the light?  Isn't it great??
I absolutely love the light now.  It surprisingly goes quite well, and I've actually had several people ask where I bought it.  Vintage!  The curtains too are great, got from the Tar-jay boutique.  :)


2 comments:

  1. I love the transformation of your sunroom. You started from scratch and now, you have this gorgeous room. The wall color is what I liked the most. You can really feel the breeze, and the tiny plants help the atmosphere become even more soothing. The love seats look so comfy too! You really did a fantastic job in this one.
    Nida Eisner @ All County Exteriors

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your sunroom! I particularly love that wall color. But I would suggest a change with the furniture's color. You know what would look good with that wall color? A furniture of black and white combination, apricot orange curtains, and perhaps more greens for accessories -- say, more miniature plants. Then, an ivory white center table, if not, a glass table. What do you think?

    Chase Conely @ GMRoth.com

    ReplyDelete