Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Slow Cooker Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches

As a working girl who's been picking up more hours, I have realized a few things:
  1. I may love my crockpot more than I like some people
  2. If I dont have a freezer meal or crockpot meal, dinner will not be done until Jacob is in bed
  3. Even though something smells REALLY good, doesn't mean it will taste that way (some of the previous freezer meals where a little lacking in seasoning)
  4. Jacob gets his crabbiness if he is not fed NOW when he wants to be, from me.  If i'm hungry, and there is a wait or delay, watch out.  My baby takes after me on that one...

Happy fed baby!
Also, i can't get cooking done with Jacob up.  He "helps" by sitting under foot, yelling at me, and grabbing me as I walk by.  Or crawling to me and demanding attention.

Yep, he's cute, but no help at dinner
This morning I threw another new recipe into the crockpot, slow cooker philly sandwiches.  I'm so excited to try them when I get home.  Jacob is home playing with Gramma Posey while i get some work done, and she said the house is smelling good, so hopefully it's a success tonight!
  • 1 1/2 lbs beef round steak
  • 1 green pepper, sliced thin
  • 1 medium onion, sliced thin
  • 1 (14 oz) can beef broth
  • 1 envelope Italian dressing mix
  • 1 large loaf French bread, siced into sandwich lengths (or 4-6 hoagie buns)
  • Provolone cheese slices
Directions:
  • Cut meat into strips, place in slow cooker.  (I did not do this, figured the meat will fall apart anyways, why add more work than needed?)
  • Add green pepper, onion, broth, and dressing mix.
  • Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours, or high 3-4 hours.
  • Spoon meat mixture onto bread, top with a slice(s) of cheese.
  • Another option is to toast bread in a 375 degree oven for 5-10 minutes, add meat, cover with cheese, then bake an additional 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
Figure with some fresh veggies and chips, you can't go wrong on a hot day!  And gives me more playtime wiht my baby!

1 comment:

  1. ooo, yummy and so easy! Keep pushing it so I actually start using mine. Hate that I'm so lazy with food!

    Yes, J is so cute but it is hard to cook with kids, which is ironic considering how much your life centers on food with those growing bodies in the house.

    ReplyDelete