Thursday, May 17, 2012

Freezer Meals

The past few weeks we have not been eating the best.  I used to cook all the time, but now there's a little poop machine who takes up all my time!  but he is cute...

After our dinner menu consisted of rotating Schwans, eating out, and chicken strips, I decided I needed to take the time to prep some freezer meals.  I did this before Jacob was born, and it was great.  I had made up 15 meals on my own, and did Let's Dish with some other girls to get another 8 meals.  Those meals lasted us thru me returning to work.  Its quick, efficient and way more healthy.

So, I have posted the freezer meals I made below.  Each of these make 2 meals for us.  I did 6 meals in one hour, and did another 2 tonight in about a half hour.  Not only do I love freezer meals, but I LOVE my crockpot, and as you can see, most of these can be made in the crockpot, so it's even better!

Savory Chicken

4-6 chicken breasts
2 cans stewed tomatoes
4 Tbs white wine
2 bay leafs
1/2 tsp. pepper
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 large onion (I put one small in each bag)
1 cup chicken broth
2 tsp salt
4 cups broccoli

Follow directions above, and put everything (except broccoli) into two gallon freezer bags. shake it up, seal, label and put in the freezer. Instructions for Bag: Cook on low 8 hours, add broccoli during the last 30 minutes.

Newlywed Beeftips
2 lb beef stew meet (diced from deli)
23 oz french onion soup 4 cups water
brozen broccoli
rice or noodles

Split everything (except broccoli and rice) into two containers. shake it up, seal, label and put in the freezer. Instructions for Container: Cook on low 8 hours or high 4 hours. Mix in frozen broccoli 30 minutes before it's done, or add steamed broccoli after it's done. Serve over hot rice or noodles

Cilantro Lime Chicken with black beans and corn

6 chicken breasts

3 Tbs olive oil

2 limes, juiced

2 cups cilantro

1 large bag of frozen corn (or two smaller bags)

4 minced garlic cloves

1 finely chopped red onion

2 cans of black beans, rinsed

2 tsp cumin or chipotle powder

salt/pepper to taste

 

Split everything  into two containers. shake it up, seal, label and put in the freezer. Instructions for Container: cook on low 8 hours or high 4 hours, serve with hot tortillas or tostitos. Dress with sour cream, guacamole, and/or cheese

 

Chicken Supreme

Lisa @ Onceamonthmom.com

Ingredients:

  • 1 lb chicken, ground
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 3.33 cups packaged dressing/stuffing
  • 16 oz frozen french style green beans
  • 10 oz cream of mushroom soup
  • 10 oz cream of chicken soup
  • 1/2 cup colby jack cheese, shredded
  • 1/2 cup french fried onions
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup almonds, slivered
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted

Directions:

If you haven’t already done so, brown the ground chicken in butter, seasoning it with salt and pepper if desired.  Place 2/3 of the dry dressing in the bottom of ungreased  9×13 baking pan.  On stovetop, cook green beans in boiling water for 2-3 minutes, drain.  Pour beans in a bowl and combine with both soups, french fried onions,milk, and cheese.  Pour over dressing in pan and spread evenly.  Layer chicken on top.  Spread remaining dressing and slivered almonds over pan.  Drizzle with melted butter.  .  
Freezing Directions:
Cover baking pan with aluminum foil and freeze.  To Serve: Thaw and bake 375 for 30-40 minutes or until bubbly.
(When freezing this, I put foil in a pan, add everything, wrap pan in foil, put in freezer til solid, then pull out the food wrapped in foil, bag in freezer bag, and then put back in freezer.  This way you dont have a pan in the freezer, and when you do cook it, your pan isn't messy!)

I found these recipes at:
Onceamonthmom.com  (blog all about freezer meals)
ringaroundtherosies.net
jamiecooksitup.blogspot.com

I have more I plan on making soon, and will post those ones as well!  Note, I label the freezer bags with the meal and the cooking instructions w/ a black sharpie.  THis makes it much easier than diggin out the recipe.

There are also some other new recipes I am excited to try, that are not freezer ones, and will post about those in the next week or two!



No comments:

Post a Comment