Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Sunday

On Friday, Mike and I agreed we needed to make it a priority to get to church over the weekend.  It has been awhile (again) and I have used the same excuses (again), ie it's Jacob's naptime, or he nurses then, or whatever else you want to fill in. 

No matter how you look at it, we were making priorities, and not the best ones.

So, Sunday morning, we went to the 9 am service.  When we arrived, a friend who works for EBC, came up to me and said, if i didn't see you this weekend, i was going to email you.  YES, I need that.  I need to be held accountable.  I need to realize that us not being there is noticed.  I miss seeing her.  I used to see her at least once a week.  Now, unless I make it to church, I'm lucky to see her once a month. 

The sermon was on Love One Another.  It was EXTREMELY well timed and much needed.  Basically, the ones you love are the ones you hurt the most.  And, there are 3 things to do to show your love:
  1. Be devoted to a few
  2. Be truthful with each other
  3. Overlook each other's faults
The first is something I have REALLY worked on the past few years.  I learned (with help) to say no.  No to extra things, no to uncessary things, no to keep my sanity.  How can you truly be devoted to hundreds of people?  you can't.  So pick a few.  I know who my few are, and now to work on the rest.

Bob spoke about ways to show love, be kind, be devoted, encourage, speak the truth in love, BE PATIENT, and forgive one another.  I have defintely not been these things lately (besides to Jacob).  I've been stressed, nagging, and def not patient.  Rather than snapping an answer, and then wondering why the conversation is over, I need to practice patience and kindness.  I need to work on overlooking faults. I have them, and I wouldnt want someone to constantly point them out to me, and if they did, I hope it would be in a loving way, which i have also not done. 

I have a choice in how I respond, and lately, I'm not liking my choices.  Thank God for grace. 

The sermon was what I needed.  A reminder.  A nudge.  A wake up call.  I want things to go a certain way, and then when they don't I wonder why.  A harsh word, an intentional sigh, a look.  A verse from our wedding to remind me of that day:

Love is patient and kind...it doesn't demand its own way, is not easily angered, and keeps no records of wrongs.  1 Cor. 13:4-5

And since Sunday, I've slipped, and it's only Tuesday.  I've apologized, probably not as much as I should.  This morning, EBC posted the 3 things again on FB.  Another nudge.  It's a new day, try again. 

Be patient.  Be kind.  Be loving. Here's the whole sermon if you are interested.

And guess what?   We were home, Jacob nursed, and asleep by 10:35....Now, depending on the surgery will decide on this Sunday for church.  But, the following weekend I will be there.  And the weekend after that.  So Kar, if I'm not there, email me.  Because I sometimes I need a nudge, other times, it takes a sledgehammer.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written, stingingly true, humbly honest. THANK YOU for sharing the sermon!
    Great post, Nikki!

    ReplyDelete