Monday, November 26, 2012

Day 5 - Record & Day 6 - Grace

So, to play catch up, I'm going to post 2 days of intentional parenting!

Day 5 is recording the moments found in those 10 minutes of intentional time set apart each day.

I'm supposed to ask Jacob what his favorite moments were during that time, but I'm guessing he would just sign all done to me, or screech and run away, so I am going to guess as to what he would say (based off of what he wanted to do).

1. reading Little blue truck, MULTIPLE times
2.  Pushing him around on his tractor or in his dump truck.
3.  Reading Little blue truck leads the way.  multiple times
4.  Tearing out the bowls and lids from the tupperware cupboard
5.  Reading Doggies.  Multiple times.
6.  Playing airplane

Activity for day 5 was to eat dinner as a family (which we do 95% of the time), and let the child pick out the meal.  If that was the case, we would eat black beans, puffs, a pouch of baby food and bananas.  So, he ate that, and i made some other stuff for Mike and i to eat as well...

Day 6: Grace

I love the post on Grace.  It is so easy to get wrapped into the trap of believing you are doing it all wrong.  That you are failing.  I had a friend email me last week in response to my blog, and said something along the lines of wishing she could do stuff that i do as a mother.  It blew me away. 

I am always comparing myself to other mothers, feeling like I am falling short compared to them (this friend being one).  And it's so easy to do.  It's easy to look at someone else, and the pics they have posted on fb, or the blog they have, or the pinterst posts, and think, "they know what they are doing.  They have it all together".  You think that they have discovered "the secret" and somehow, they are thriving in this new life.  it's effortless to them.

And then you look at yourself.  Your house is a mess.  Laundry is EVERYWHERE.  Dirty hair in a ponytail.  Dirty clothes on.  The baby is crying.  Or won't sleep through the night.  Work is just enough to get by.  And you feel like throwing in the towel.  I often wonder, how do they do it?  What am I missing?  WHy doesn't it seem this hard for them?

But, I'm not that mother.  And although I can relate, I don't know what all her struggles are.  What shortcuts she takes to get thru the day.  What areas are on the back burner to shift for the more important ones.  We all need to give ourselves grace.

So, what are 5 things i can do on a hard day to change the tone of the day:
1.  Go to caribou :)
2.  Call a friend
3.  Take a hot bubble bath and eat dark chocolate
4.  Pray.  Often.
5.  Snuggle up with Jacob and smell his soft downy hair

THe other journaling topic, what time of day seems most challenging for Jacob?  What could I do to help him?

Between 6 and 7:15 are the hardest part of the day for him. He just wants to snuggle or be read to after getting home, while dinner is waiting to be made.  And if he's sleepy, bath time can become very challenging.  To help him out, we've let him watch videos (of either jd tractors or chuck & friends) or I will hold him when I'm doing dinner stuff that is not dangerous around him.  From after dinner to bath time, both Mike and I play on the floor with him, which also helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment